Download the flyer here
Contact Hour Certificates are available!
The “101 Alternatives to the Chalkboard" Educators’ Conference at YMCA Camp Kern is on Saturday October 7, 2023 (with the option of staying Friday and/or Saturday night).Cost: $30. Includes all sessions, programs, meals, and overnight accommodations. Scholarships and discounts available.
Please email, mail, or leave a voice mail with your info. email@example.com 513-932-3756 x1527. I will get back to you with confirmation.
- Do you need a place to stay Friday night?
- How about Saturday night?
- Describe any special dietary needs:
- Do you have any needs or concerns?
- Are you planning on staying for the 3mile canoe float Sunday morning?
Friday (no formal sessions or events, but all are welcome)
· 6:30pm Check in and move in or pitch a tent -
· Hike, Climb Pete’s Tower, relax
· Meeting for EECO Board members in Moore Building
· 8:30pm Bring a snack and beverage and socialize, Elk Lodge
Saturday October 7th
· 7:00am Bird Walk
· 8:00am Breakfast
· 8:30am Registration and social time
· 8:50am Gathering and announcements
· 9:00-10:30 Small Group Session I
· 10:45 – 11:45am Keynote speaker or a discovery hike
· Noon Lunch
· 12:50pm Gathering and announcements
· 1:00 to 2:30pm Small Group Session II
· 2:45 to 4:15pm Small Group Session III
· 5:30 pm Dinner
· 6:30 to 7:45pm Campfire, Songs and Stories with Chris Walker as MC
· 8:00- ??? Star Gazing with Mark Griffen and post-campfire gathering
Sunday (like Friday, no formal sessions, but all are welcome)
· 8:00am Breakfast and evaluations
· 9:00am to 12:00 River Hike and/or 3-mile Little Miami River Canoe Trip
Likely Sessions (so far)
- Dark Sky and Light Pollution with Erin Shaw from ODNR
- Nature Recycling- what mushrooms, worms, rolly polly’s and humans all have in common, with Laurie Nichols from the Greenacres Foundation
- Ohio bats with Melissa Proffitt of the Warren County Soil and Water Conservation District
- All Things Chocolate with Susan Sumner of Great Parks.
- Mushrooms for Naturalists with Gia Giammarinaro of Cincinnati Parks
- How to Homebrew with Brian Prunty, The Unofficial Master Brewer of the EECO Brewing Company
- A closer look at our sun with Mark Griffen, Science Teacher and Volunteer for Cincinnati Observatory's Stonelick Stargazers
- Creating inquiry to deepen understanding, with Frances Boyens from the Fernald Preserve
- Ways to engage children and beginners by making birding more accessible, with Joe Phelps from Greenacres
- Beyond creepy-crawlies: arthropods as a gateway to nature connection, with Kelsey Mazur from Glen Helen
- People and the Planet: will there be enough resources to go around, with Kayla Lawyer from Glen Helen
- Art in the Natural World with Chris Walker from Greenacres
- Session signups will be sent out later
- Scholarships and discounts available, contact Dave M for details
- No charge for students or interns, but registration is needed
- Payment can be mailed in or can wait until the event.
- Checks should be made out to “YMCA Camp Kern”
- Mailing address is: 5291 St Rt 350 Oregonia, OH 45054
Please be aware that the activities may carry a risk of injury. Be aware of these risks and your ability. Ask for help when needed. Please let us know if you have any special needs or concerns.